Guide to San Francisco Bay Area Creeks

East & Lion Creeks, 1897

Both the paths of the creek flows and the names of the creeks in East Oakland have changed over the years.

Originally, the large slough, running through the salt marsh on the east side of San Leandro Bay and the major tributary creek were named East Creek. The marsh has now been filled for the construction of the Coliseum and the industrial areas to the north. The various creeks that flowed into the East Creek slough have been combined into two flood-control channels. On the north, Peralta, Courtland, and Seminary Creeks are combined into a channel bearing the name East Creek Slough. On the south, Lion and Arroyo Viejo Creeks flow into a channel called Damon Slough. The upland portion of the creek that had been called East Creek now is called Lion Creek and empties into Damon Slough (not East Creek Slough). The creek following the California R.R. north of the Melrose neighborhood is Courtland Creek. Peralta Creek flows under the name of the Fruitvale neighborhood. Diamond Creek is now named Sausal Creek.

Enlarge Map
USGS Topographic Map: Concord, Calif. 1/62,500, 1897; Courtesy of HISTOPO

East Creek Information
Lion Creek Information