Gold Districts of California
Location and History. This district is in Kern County about 28 miles northeast
of Bakersfield. The first discovery of gold in Kern County was made in Greenhorn Creek in
1851 by a member of General John C. Fremont's party. A rush soon followed, and the town of
Petersburg was established. Gold-mining activity declined before 1890, but there has been
minor prospecting since. Most of the output has been from placer mining.
Geology. Much of the area is underlain by quartz diorite. There are a few bodies
of metamorphic rocks and also some pegmatite dikes. The chief placer deposits were in
Greenhorn, Fremont, Bradshaw, and Black Gulch Creeks. There are numerous small, poorly
mineralized quartz veins, most of which are a few miles east of David Guard Station. The
gold is in the free state and there is very little sulfide mineralization. Uranium-bearing
peat bog was discovered in 1955 in the northwest part of the district.
Excerpt from: Gold Districts of California, by: W.B. Clark, California
Department of Conservation, Division of Mines and Geology, Bulletin 193, 1970.
Return to Other Gold Districts